Can I Go on an Alaskan Cruise with a DUI?

Canadian Immigration Entry Graphic

Alaska welcomes millions of tourists annually, with many arriving on cruise ships. Cruises starting in the United States often stop in Canadian cities en route to Alaska. As such, tourists are sometimes surprised that they may need to present documents to enter Canada, even though the primary purpose of their trip is to end up in Alaska.

Given the prospect of entering Canada, going on an Alaskan cruise may become a challenge for individuals with a criminal record. This article will address whether an individual can go on an Alaskan cruise with past felonies, DUIs, or other misdemeanors. Then, we’ll discuss your option to overcome criminal inadmissibility to Canada.

Can I still go on my cruise to Alaska if I have a DUI or other past convictions?

The short answer is maybe.

Individuals with a criminal history may be deemed inadmissible to Canada if their crimes are considered serious offenses under Canadian law. As previously mentioned, these crimes may include DUIs, DWIs, felonies, and other misdemeanors. In addition to these laws applying to land entry, they also apply to anyone traveling through Canadian waters.

Therefore, tourists hoping to go on an Alaskan cruise that stops in any Canadian city, such as Vancouver or Victoria, should note that they must comply with Canadian Immigration Laws.

That said, being inadmissible to Canada does not mean someone is permanently banned from entering the country. Instead, they will need the proper paperwork from the Canadian government to be allowed through its borders. Let’s discuss these permits and documents and how to get them.

What Are My Options to Overcome Criminal Inadmissibility to Canada?

Before discussing the options available, contact us to determine if your crime is considered a serious offense. If it’s not, you should generally be able to travel.

Suppose your crime is a serious offense, however. In that case, a few options that, if successful, will allow you to enter Canada with a DUI or other criminal offense. These options include:

  1. Temporary Residence Permits (TRPs)
  2. Criminal Rehabilitation
  3. Deemed Rehabilitation

Let’s first discuss TRPs. 

How to Still Go on an Alaskan Cruise with a DUI: Apply for a TRP

A Temporary Residence Permit allows a person deemed inadmissible to Canada to enter and remain in the country for a specific amount of time determined by the government. Generally, the amount of time granted is the duration of your trip and is for one-time use only.

A TRP does not give you the right to work or study in Canada. You also must exit the country or renew it before its expiration date. Failing to do so is considered a crime by local laws.

You can apply for a TRP in advance through a Canadian consulate or upon arrival. That said, the latter is very risky, as obtaining a TRP is not guaranteed and will be needed to continue your trip. TRPs are a great option if it’s been five or fewer years since the conclusion of your sentence. Learn more about TRPs and get help with your application by contacting us for a free consultation.

Temporary Residence Permits are one of several ways to go on a cruise to Alaska if I have a DUI. You can also apply for Criminal Rehabilitation or Deemed Rehabilitation, which is what we’ll discuss next.

How to Still Go on an Alaskan Cruise with a DUI: Apply for Criminal Rehabilitation

Criminal Rehabilitation is another option to overcome criminal inadmissibility to enter Canada. It’s particularly a great option if it’s been five or more years since the conclusion of your sentence and no other crimes have been committed since. Learn more about Criminal Rehabilitation by requesting a free consultation.

How to Still Go on an Alaskan Cruise with a DUI: Becoming Deemed Rehabilitated

Gaining Deemed Rehabilitation status is another option to overcome criminal inadmissibility to Canada. To qualify, at least ten years must have passed since you served your sentence.

The main advantage of both Criminal Rehabilitation and Deemed Rehabilitated status is that once granted, a person will no longer need special permits such as a TRP to enter Canada. On the other hand, a TRP comes with expiration dates. Moreover, you will generally have to reapply before reentry if you leave the country.

How Dogen Law Can Help

Regardless of which option you choose, Dogen Law can help you in your journey of going on an Alaskan cruise with a DUI or other misdemeanor. So, are you ready for your trip? Contact us, and we’ll help make the process easier.

Further Reading

Gain deeper insights into criminal rehabilitation, temporary resident permits, and overcoming criminal inadmissibility to Canada by reading our articles below:

Assault Charges

Border Checks, Criminal Inadmissibility, and Expunged Records

Criminal Rehabilitation & Temporary Resident Permits

DUI Resources

Felony Resources