Temporary Foreign Workers and OHIP Changes

Canadian Immigration Entry Graphic

If you are a Temporary Foreign Worker (TFW) with a valid work permit and you are able to
prove your employment is full-time and continuous for a duration of six months or longer from
the date you apply for coverage, you may be eligible for OHIP coverage. You may prove your
employment using an employment letter and paystubs showing that the duration of your
employment will be over the six month requirement. You must:
1) Apply for OHIP within the first 90 days of getting your work permit and residing in
2) Be residing in Ontario physically for 153 days in every one year (12-month) period you
are requesting OHIP coverage for
The 3 month waiting period for Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) coverage begins to run on
the date you establish residence in Ontario.